The biological organisation starts with submicroscopic molecular level passes through microscopic level and ends up in ecosystem and the biosphere. Atom is the lowest unit at molecular level whereas the cell is the lowest unit at organism level. In the ecosystem, an individual forms the smallest unit.The organisation levels, below and above individual level, can be given as:
Some Important Points:
- Water, glucose, carbon-dioxide, amino acids etc are micro-molecule.
- Carbohydrate, lipids, protein and nucleic acids etc. are macro-molecule.
- Carbohydrate is energy storage molecules.
- Lipid is major group of insoluble hydrocarbons having many functions
- Protein is structural and fundamental make up of cells
- Nucleic acid is information storage device of cells.